Renovate Roof with Solar Panel, Green Roof or Both (LL 92&94)
New York City may now have the most comprehensive sustainable roofing policy in the world.
The city’s rooftops are an underutilized asset and can play a valuable role in reducing carbon emissions and cleaning our air and water. Local Laws 92 and 94 of 2019 require all new buildings and those buildings undergoing major roof renovations to be covered with solar panels, green roofs, or some combination of the two. The laws also require all buildings to reduce urban heat hazards.
The laws are flexible, allowing property owners to choose the most cost effective option
- Real Estate Developers can reap the benefits of solar power with reduced or zero up-front cost using state, local and federal incentives and flexible ownership models.
- The NYC Retrofit Accelerator offers free, personalized advisory services to help building owners make these investments.
- The laws allow property owners to choose which option best fits their needs.
Solar deployment in NYC can:
- Reduce energy costs, especially when paired with a green or cool roof.
- Deliver strong financial returns, with costs declining by 25% since 2013.
- Contribute to NYC's commitments of 250 MW of solar by 2025 and 1,000 MW by 2030.
Green roofs benefit NYC by:
- Mitigating pollution from combined sewer overflows and hazardous urban flooding.
- Creating wildlife habitat in the urban jungle and green space for New Yorkers to enjoy.
- Promoting roofs that last twice as long as traditional roofs and reduce heating and cooling costs.
Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Loans (Local Law 96), powered by NYCEEC, is available for all building types for solar photovoltaics in new construction as well as retrofits. Green roof retrofits may be eligible for PACE financing as long as the applicant demonstrates the energy savings that will result from the green roof.
Schedule an Indoor Air Quality Assessment (IAQ) or Energy Assessment Today!!
NYC requires many buildings to meet mandated energy efficiency (LL 84, 85, 87, 95 & 97), clean energy and Green Roofs (LL92&94); and report on energy use. As you expert advisors, we will help you navigate the requirement and save you money!
Many of our services have a 50% – 100% cost share support from NYSERDA or Incentives from Con Edison. Work with us to gain access to these incentives!